Thursday, February 26, 2015

Fortress by the sea Part II

At Fort Ross State Historic Park, I continued exploring the old buildings.



I tried out one of the beds to see how it felt.



It felt exactly like it looked: hard and uncomfortable.  I don't know how big peeps back in the day ever got a good night's sleep.



But enough with the hard, old beds!  Back outside I went!



I hiked down to the cove.



I spent some time climbing the rocks and enjoying the ocean.



Then I hiked over to the cemetery, the final resting place for 131 peeps who perished during the 30 years that the Russian-American Company operated the settlement.



The Russian-American Company sold Fort Ross to John Sutter in December 1841.



I had a rockin' good time at Fort Ross learning about California history!

No comments:

Post a Comment