Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Tufa, too cool Part II

After visiting the section of Mono Lake by the Mono Basin Scenic Area Visitor Center, I headed back uphill.



I passed by this little guy on my way out.  I think he was dead.



Anyways, I headed south to the Mono Lake Tufa State Natural Reserve.



This reserve has an awesome array of tufa towers.  Tufa here, tufa there, tufa everywhere!  It was awesome!



There were also alkali flies here, alkali flies there, alkali flies everywhere!  And their larval shells littered the lake shores.  Not exactly an awesome aspect of Mono Lake.



But the alkali flies live in the lake along with brine shrimp.  They feast on algae, and they in turn are food for the migratory birds that stop by.



Overall, Mono Lake is one awesome place and I'd definitely recommend that you stop by for a visit! 

1 comment:

  1. Fo' sho it was dead. If it were still alive, it would have run for its life at the sight of you!

    ReplyDelete